Come Join Me Over Here!

Hi there!

I'm glad you've come to read my blog, but unfortunately I don't live here any more!

Feel free to trawl through my archives or look up my posts on Scoliosis which will always be at home here, but when you're ready please come and join me at my new home:


See you there!

Catherine Ann x

Saturday, 30 March 2013

Food, Glorious Food... What Makes You Beautiful?

A NOTE ON HOW AWESOME MY LIFE IS...

Hi Everyone! Before I start the next food post, I'd like to tell you all why I'm feeling about a million feet tall right now. As a result of my blog, Bambi and her boyfriend have decided to start their own! Now, while I know it wasn't me who invented blogs or indeed gave them the idea, I'm still pretty chuffed that I've handed them some confidence and encouragement.


Let me share something from the prophet Isaiah which I heard today at Easter mass (this won't be happening very often, so enjoy it): "Yes, as the rain and the snow come down from the heavens and do not return without watering the earth, making it yield and give growth to provide seed for the sower and bread for the eating, so the word that goes from my mouth does not return from me empty, without carrying out my will and succeeding in what it was sent to do." 

This really struck a chord with me, and I'd like you all to take it on board. What you have to say DOES matter. Your thoughts ARE worth sharing. So whether it's writing like Bambi and I, expressing yourself through music like Phoenix or putting your own spin on a monologue the way Wolf does, make sure to make yourself heard. Your intentions WILL be carried out and you WILL succeed in whatever it is you feel you're here to do. 

Lots of love, Catherine Ann.

Now, on to WHAT MAKES YOU BEAUTIFUL!! 

When considering themes for my blog, I thought a cool one would be beauty as it’s something most teens—most humans—are preoccupied with. The thing is, I don’t really know much about it! All I know is that everyone’s beautiful if you look hard enough. I really don’t like the idea of saying what beauty is, telling you how to be beautiful etc... but I thought what I could talk about was how to be at your best and feel good. When you're feeling particularly great, people notice! Your hair and skin glow and you stand taller. Of course there’s a huge connection between looking and feeling good—I know that I tend to feel awful on a particularly bad skin day, which for me happens loads!

When you reach adolescence, you begin to notice that there are a lot of facts and myths out there all ready to confuse you. I know this can be particularly hard for girls, but I’m sure boys have their fair share as well. So instead, I’m going to tell you the cold hard facts about what your body needs and how to get it!

That’s where food comes in. You may not realise, but what you put into your body is invariably visible on the outside. I’m not one to preach about diets, the way I eat, and I’m not going to tell you to cut anything out as I don’t want you to hate me. But what could you do with adding in?

Vitamin A is needed by the skin to rebuild tissue, so it’s really useful if you’re prone to blemishes or acne, as well as strengthening and moisturising hair. It’s also a great anti-ageing help, for those of you who are perhaps past the teenage stage. It’s found in vegetables such as carrots, broccoli and spinach, as well as animal products like eggs, cheese and milk.

Vitamin C helps your body produce collagen, which is a bit like the elastic part of your skin—it helps make it smooth and supple. It can be found abundantly in citrus fruits, broccoli or tomatoes.

B Vitamins are all great for your skin as they boost circulation and help your skin get the oxygen it needs to be healthy. It also makes your hair shine and grow faster. It can be found in eggs and nuts.

Vitamin E also helps with circulation, so it softens the skin and makes for a healthy scalp. If your scalp is healthy, split ends will be reduced and your hair will be softer. You can find it in most nuts, spinach, broccoli, kiwis and tomatoes, as well as fortified cereals.

Iron is very important to prevent anaemia. This is when not enough oxygen travels around your body in the blood. It can result in looking and feeling tired. Sources of iron include leafy veg e.g. spinach (remember how strong Pop-Eye was?), cocoa powder (see my brownie recipe!), red meats such as lamb or beef or any fortified cereal.

It goes without saying that a balanced diet is essential for maintaining health. You should include all vitamins and minerals in some form as well as a balance of water, carbohydrates, proteins, fruit and vegetables, diary produce and fats. Exercise is also essential to staying healthy and feeling great. This list is really just a guide so you can learn to up the intake of any vitamin or mineral you might feel you’re missing.

I've noticed that broccoli is mentioned a lot as a source of all things awesome, and while I personally can’t get enough, I know that those poor miniature trees have their haters. For that reason, my next recipe is going to be something including broccoli along with as many others from the list above as I can manage. Is there such thing as cooking a dish which can make you more beautiful when you eat it? I’ll have a damn good try! 

2 comments:

  1. Once again a fantastic job! Thank you for sharing my blog xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're very welcome! I know my audience isn't very big, but hopefully those few people will be passed on to you! :) xx

    ReplyDelete

Please be sure to leave a comment, I value all kinds of feedback and opinions! I read and reply to every single one, so don't be shy! Come and say hello :)