Come Join Me Over Here!

Hi there!

I'm glad you've come to read my blog, but unfortunately I don't live here any more!

Feel free to trawl through my archives or look up my posts on Scoliosis which will always be at home here, but when you're ready please come and join me at my new home:


See you there!

Catherine Ann x

Friday, 31 May 2013

Six of the Best... My Favourite Quote.

Hey guys! I'm really sad that Blog Every Day In May is over, because even though I didn't take part, I've been enjoying posts by Bambi and Crow, as well as the brains behind the operation, the lovely Jenni. Check out their blogs if you'd like to catch up with what it's all about! Bambi and Crow are both really good friends of mine and talented writers, while Jenni's blog is a huge inspiration for me. I even emailed her to thank her for her tips when I was starting out, and she was really nice!

So I've decided to pick six of my favourite topics and write about them in June, to keep the magic alive just a little bit longer. You'll find them interspersed with my posts for the next little while. I don’t know why I chose the number six, it just had a ring to it.

MY FAVOURITE QUOTE...

 This one’s from day 5. Crow over at Dear Saul decided on a quote from Yeats:

Had I the heavens' embroidered cloths,

Enwrought with golden and silver light,

The blue and the dim and the dark cloths
Of night and light and the half-light,
I would spread the cloths under your feet:
But I, being poor, have only my dreams;
I have spread my dreams under your feet;
Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.”


To me, this is like when you give someone a piece of your writing to read.

Bambi at Everything and Anything to Love chose lots, including my favourite from Patrick Ness’ Chaos Walking Trilogy which she introduced me to:

“It's not how we fall, it’s how we get back up again.”

This is short and sweet and simple and provided the basis for a drama piece I worked on recently. Everyone falls and nobody is perfect, but it’s the way we try that’s important. Our attitude.

So now, on to mine. I don’t know if it's my favourite quote, but it’s certainly the most romantic thing I’ve read and I wanted to share it with you all.

“P DARLING STOP YOUR ADORING V”

Seemingly nonsensical, this is a telegram sent by a woman called Verily Bruce during the Second World War. Her sweetheart rang from the Ministry of Information while she was at work with the First Aid Nursing Yoemanry. They both knew that their work meant they could be separated further at any time. They had a very short conversation. He asked her ring size. She said she didn’t know... were they going to be married? He said that he’d like to be. Tomorrow. She nipped out and got herself sized: her size was "P". She sent him the above telegram, went AWOL on a bus up to London, and they were married the next day.

There’s just something about that simple story, that simple phrase which doesn’t seem to mean anything much to us, but probably made someone’s life. I suppose back then was a time when you just got on with it.

And that’s the most romantic thing I’ve ever read. Yet. 

In case you're interested, I found this information in a book I've been reading for my history coursework, which is about the changing role in society of women during World War II. The book is called "Millions Like Us" by Virginia Nicholson. It's factual, but tells fascinating stories and I've really enjoyed reading it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be sure to leave a comment, I value all kinds of feedback and opinions! I read and reply to every single one, so don't be shy! Come and say hello :)