Come Join Me Over Here!

Hi there!

I'm glad you've come to read my blog, but unfortunately I don't live here any more!

Feel free to trawl through my archives or look up my posts on Scoliosis which will always be at home here, but when you're ready please come and join me at my new home:


See you there!

Catherine Ann x

Saturday, 8 June 2013

Six of the Best... What I Miss

This was from day 12 of blog every day in May and I really liked reading my friends’ posts. Bambi wrote a touching piece about her grandfather and all he taught her, especially about music. Crow talked about his old iPod, which might seem simple but it showed how much music can mean in certain situations and was certainly true for me. So what do I miss? Lots.

I’m the sort of person who really doesn’t like change. So moving to a new country was a huge challenge for me. At first it was fun experiencing something new and different, but after a while, for a long time I just wanted to go home. I missed my worn out carpets, the doors with pencil marks showing the growth stages of me and my brothers. I missed having a private little garden and a best friend who lived thirty seconds away.

It’s only lately I’ve come to realise that it’s not the place I miss, not the bricks and mortar, not the town. It’s the memories. It’s growing up with Tiger, Elephant and Ferret, learning things and feeling happy and safe. My memory conveniently forgets the times I complained and cried and screamed... it only seems to remember the good parts. That's why when I was feeling down, I would tell my mum that I wanted to go home. She would ask me in her simple, calm way: “Where is ‘home’?” Was home where my brothers were, where my friends were, where my extended family lived, were my house was? Because frankly those weren’t all in the one place. “Home” wasn’t as simple as all that.

I’ve realised now that it doesn’t matter where you grow up or how many places you live in. What matters are the relationships you form and the memories you make. I have no intention of staying here forever, but now that I’ve made some memories, I’m happy to be here for now. I can see the fire we opened our presents round at Christmas, the table where I sat across from Bambi and realised that I wasn’t the only one who thought the way I think, the cinema where...  well you get the idea.


It’s OK to miss places. It’s good, in fact: it means you belonged somewhere. But it’s also OK to make new memories. Who knows? They might be even better ones.





Hope you liked tonight's post. A few reminders if I may. Anyone interested in art, I'm still looking for competition entries so click the "Competition Time!" button at the top right hand corner. I'm also on twitter @CatherineAnnMK or you can find my facebook page at www.facebook.com/CatherineAnnMinnock. I've also written an article on bullying for Foróige, which is an Irish youth club. Please check out their website as they're a lovely bunch of people! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be sure to leave a comment, I value all kinds of feedback and opinions! I read and reply to every single one, so don't be shy! Come and say hello :)