Come Join Me Over Here!

Hi there!

I'm glad you've come to read my blog, but unfortunately I don't live here any more!

Feel free to trawl through my archives or look up my posts on Scoliosis which will always be at home here, but when you're ready please come and join me at my new home:


See you there!

Catherine Ann x

Tuesday, 23 July 2013

Crafty Little Things... Top Banter

Hey guys! I’ve got two more t-shirt ideas I’d like to show you! One is a top I just finished yesterday, and one is the first ever top I altered which I forgot to include in all the excitement of my last post!
This first one’s a very simple idea, and it shows how you can put your own spin on something really easily. Perfect for people who like to be a little bit different, or if you can never seem to find exactly what you’re looking for in the shops.


My first project! (A terrible picture of.) But I ironed this for you guys, hope you appreciate. 


I got this T-shirt for exercise if I remember rightly, before realising that... hang on, I don’t exercise. I love this colour grey as it really suits me, but the top had a really high neck which was tight and uncomfortable.
So after seeing something on TV where a woman bravely took a pair of scissors to her clothes, I decided to bite the bullet and do the same...

With a regular cotton t-shirt, you just need to use some big sewing scissors and make large, confident snips. I simply cut all along the neckline about an inch or two in, and snipped the sleeves the same way. Remember to start with a little bit... you can always cut more, but it’ll be a tad more difficult to sew back on.

If you're worried about it looking poorly cut, just do what I did: let the fabric curl as it naturally does, and add a few stitches to keep it that way. 

Then I just made a little design out of buttons to stitch on. I’ve always got a collection of them hanging around, whether it’s from old clothes or ones I snapped up in the shops...

I stayed with Elephant and Panther last year, and as there aren't many department stores... well, in Ireland, Panther took me into John Lewis and I spent about an hour amusing myself with buttons, ribbons and the like.... heaven! 


This next T-shirt was made from a plain white large one, which had a little iron-on logo from something or another. I soon changed it round!



First I decided to dye it dark blue. I used Dylon fabric dye, which you just put in the washing machine with the clothing. One pack was €5.99 from my local supermarket, and I used it to dye a t-shirt and a jumper.
The more clothes you dye, the lighter the colour will be.

I then cut off one sleeve entirely and widened the neckline again.



As the top would’ve been really baggy, and as I’d seen this style in the shops, I cut a few inches at the seam on either side and held them in place with a stitch, so they could be tied up.

Now to cover up the ugly patch, I sound a button (one of my many) and some blue ribbon from one of my birthday presents (yeah, I'm the sort of person who gets almost as excited about the ribbon as I do about the present). I made a flower by simply stitching the ribbon on in some loops, and adding the button to the middle.



And here's the finished product! Overall, I'm really pleased with it. I even had enough ribbon left over to tie round my wrist when I wear the top so it looks like I bothered to put together an outfit! If I had to do it again, I would probably cut less out of the top, as the shoulder falls down if not positioned perfectly! 






No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be sure to leave a comment, I value all kinds of feedback and opinions! I read and reply to every single one, so don't be shy! Come and say hello :)