Come Join Me Over Here!

Hi there!

I'm glad you've come to read my blog, but unfortunately I don't live here any more!

Feel free to trawl through my archives or look up my posts on Scoliosis which will always be at home here, but when you're ready please come and join me at my new home:


See you there!

Catherine Ann x

Thursday, 18 July 2013

Food, Glorious Food: Why I Don't Have A Dolmio Day...

This post is one of a few I have planned. Since you all seem to like my recipes so much (thanks for the feedback!), I’m going to include a “Food, Glorious Food” post every week or so, rather than making a big block of them. That way, you’ll get a chance to try the tasty treats as and when I put them up! Enjoy!

I adore pasta. It’s probably my favourite thing to have for lunch or dinner, and of course if you’re going to have a pasta you need a sauce. Sometimes I have a mushroom sauce or a white sauce, but most day’s it’s the old reliable tomato—which is probably healthiest, too!
It may surprise you to know that such a pasta-fanatic as myself hasn’t bought a jar of pasta sauce (Dolmio or any other kind) for about three years now. Don’t get me wrong, some of them are great, and before the legal brains behind those adorable Italian puppets get cross with me, I’m just using that brand as an example, but often these sauces can be overpriced and high in things like salt or preservatives.
I realised that while a jar of sauce from my supermarket was costing me €2.00, a tin of tomatoes cost 25c, an eighth of the price (I think... my maths brain’s not too good). The other ingredients for a home-made pasta sauce cost next to nothing, too, particularly if your dad grows his own onions like mine does...



Well, you know your onions, don’t you dad...


Anyway. Hem. Here’s a recipe for saghetti I made last night.

HERE’S WHAT YOU NEED...
Spaghetti (I used about half a pack which would have served four)
1 chicken breast.
1 tin tomatoes.
1 large onion.
1 clove of garlic
Mixed herbs/herbs of your choice
Pepper
Olive oil
I also threw in some fresh peas from the garden. You can add in any veg you like.



Picking your own veg is a peas of cake! (Sorry)



...AND HERE’S WHAT YOU DO
1) Boil the spaghetti in a large pan. Meanwhile, dice the onion and chicken breast.
2) When the spaghetti is soft, after around ten minutes, leave it in a colander in the sink to drain. In the same pan (damn right, I’m not doing any more washing up than necessary), sweat together the onions and chicken in a little olive oil until the chicken is white through.
3) Throw back in the spaghetti and crush in the garlic. Then empty the tin of tomatoes into the can along with about a third of the tin’s worth of water. If the tomatoes are whole, just chop them a little bit with a knife. It doesn’t have to be smooth.
4) Add the herbs and pepper (no salt, you’re not allowed, I said so) and put on the lid, leaving it to bubble for five-ten minutes.
5) Et viola! Wait, no, that’s French. Er... bellissima? My school doesn’t offer Italian... sorry! Remember, you can make your own pasta sauce however you like, it’s mainly just sweating the onions and adding a tin of tomatoes. If you want to top a pizza or something like that, just whizz it up in a blender!


Om nom nom...



Have a spaghetti-tastic week, everyone!




2 comments:

  1. That looks delicious! I'll be trying it soon :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you like the look of it! Good luck ;) xxx

    ReplyDelete

Please be sure to leave a comment, I value all kinds of feedback and opinions! I read and reply to every single one, so don't be shy! Come and say hello :)