Come Join Me Over Here!

Hi there!

I'm glad you've come to read my blog, but unfortunately I don't live here any more!

Feel free to trawl through my archives or look up my posts on Scoliosis which will always be at home here, but when you're ready please come and join me at my new home:


See you there!

Catherine Ann x

Monday, 19 August 2013

Food, Glorious Food... Low Fat Lemon Cake

Today’s recipe is still part of my “Healthy Appetite” theme, but it’s actually a really yummy cake! You need a treat every now and again, but this cake is pretty innocent as it doesn’t contain any butter! I was pretty sceptical at first (in fact I’ve seen the recipe in my book for a decade and never tried it) but as it’s Delia Smith I thought I may as well show my commitment to my favourite chef (and my healthy regime!) and give it a whirl!

It turned out to be so great that I wondered: why haven’t I been doing this all along? I thought I’d share it with you guys, but I made a few changes to the recipe. Hers was for a “whisked fatless sponge”  but I decided to make it a lemon drizzle in case it needed extra flavour (it probably wasn’t the healthiest edition to douse it in sugar and lemon juice, but there it is, you can’t have everything). I also substituted a little wholemeal flour for added fibre, which made for a really good texture. The cake was a little drier than a buttery sponge, but I actually found this rather nice!
I strongly recommend that you adapt this to suit your favourite cake recipes. If anyone wants to try chocolate, I feel like that would be amazing!

HERE’S WHAT YOU NEED...
50g (2oz) Plain Flour
25g (1oz) Wholemeal Flour
½ teaspoon Baking Powder
3 Eggs
75g (3oz) Sugar
1 Lemon
2 tbsp Sugar (for the topping)
An Electric Mixer (or Damn Manly Man with a handheld whisk, but I recommend the former)

...AND HERE’S WHAT YOU DO:
1) Separate the eggs and place the whites in the bowl of the electric mixer (or hand them to your Damn Manly Man and tell him they questioned his authority). Whisk until they are a white cloud which will remain in a peak if you make one with your spoon.

2) Meanwhile, mix the yolks with the sugar and beat them with a fork until thick and pale.

3) Zest the lemon and mix the peel in with the yolk and sugar. Then add the flour, baking powder and egg whites alternately, a spoon at a time. It’s important to fold them in as gently as possible (and I never say this) so that the air you incorporated into the egg whites stays there and helps the mixture rise.

4) Pour the mix into a lined tin and bake at 180° for 25-30 mins, or until a metal skewer (or butter knife, fork... anything that will stab) comes out clean.


5) Cut the lemon in half and squeeze the juice into a bowl. Mix with the sugar and pour over the cake. Serve immediately, while still warm if possible, and enjoy a guilt-free (well, sort of) treat! 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be sure to leave a comment, I value all kinds of feedback and opinions! I read and reply to every single one, so don't be shy! Come and say hello :)