Come Join Me Over Here!

Hi there!

I'm glad you've come to read my blog, but unfortunately I don't live here any more!

Feel free to trawl through my archives or look up my posts on Scoliosis which will always be at home here, but when you're ready please come and join me at my new home:


See you there!

Catherine Ann x

Monday, 26 August 2013

School... Doom and Desolation

Before I start, I just want to apologise that this post is late, even though none of you were really waiting for it. I have a new "blog book" now where I write out all my plans and posts, so I can keep on top of everything. Sadly, this didn't account for my internet totally cutting out yesterday. I live kind of in the middle of nowhere, so this may happen a fair bit. Rest assured, I'm not dead... just pretty irritated at times ;) 

Ok folks. A couple of nights back I had the first of the Leaving Cert Dreams. Which is a lot earlier than expected: I’ve got around nine months to go, after all. Holy crap: nine months? Is that all? I’ve just panicked myself by typing that. God.

Basically, I’d been looking at prospectuses (interestingly, as discovered by Bambi and I a while back, not prospecti), and talking to my family about personal statements (I plan to apply through UCAS) and the grades I would need. This led to me having a dream of opening an envelope full of C3s and Ds and not knowing how it had happened. It was horrible.

Doing well at school has always been really important to me. For the most part, I enjoy going to school—the learning aspect, anyway. Even when I was having a hard time with issues like bullying, there was still a part of me that knew it was important to suffer through this as long as I got to come to school and be the best student I could be. It was also around this time I first started looking at universities, because I’ve always said that the worst feeling in the world is not having anything to look forward to. If you’re having a bad time, you should look to the future, visualise a place you’ll be happy, and think about what you need to do to get there.

So about three years ago, I began to look at universities in Britain. I’ve since more or less decided on going there for many reasons: lots of my family live over there, I have some experience as my parents, Tiger, Duchess, Elephant and Panther all did the same, I like the idea of the university considering all attributes as opposed to just points... there are several factors in my decision. I’ve also been looking at the Scottish system and it seems more diverse than the English and Welsh ones—you can study modules from up to four subjects over the course of your degree. If you were to ask me this second what university I’d like to go to, I’d probably say Edinburgh: it seems to have everything I’m looking for. I’ll probably do a profile of some unis later so you can all tell me what you think. If you’re applying here or abroad, I’d love to hear about your choices and why you made them.

The bottom line, however, is that no matter where I decide to go: if I want to go to Britain or somehow drastically change my mind and end up staying here or indeed leaving for Australia, Canada, America... one thing will be certain—I’m going to need the best grades possible to give me the most amount of choice.

I feel like now is the time to apologise in advance to my friends for the nervous wreck I’ll inevitably become at some point over the next year. To Phoenix and Wolf who will have to suffer through school with me: I’m sorry if I get stressed out and bite your heads off. To Bambi: I’m sorry if I forget to read all your stuff or get jealous of how well you do at school. To Crow: I’m sorry if I act like a complete girl and demand constant sympathy for stuff that doesn’t even matter. And to my parents: for all of the above and more, I’m sorry, but in a year’s time I’ll be out of your hair (or lack thereof, in dad’s case), so just bear with me please. 



Over the next couple of weeks I’m going to be posting on the theme of school again. I’ll talk about studying and all the stresses that come with it, but I’m also going to add some healthy lunch recipes, so it won’t all be heavy!

Later on, I’ll be opening up an “Ask Mr. Minnock” section. Some of you may know that my dad was a teacher for many years, and an award-winning one at that. He helps me with anything I need school-wise, perhaps if I didn’t understand the way the teacher explained a topic (or if they didn’t) and he's very knowledgeable about the different ways in which various people learn and revise. Right now he’s been  working on maths with me, and I have to say he’s one of the only teachers I’ve ever had who doesn’t make me feel like a complete idiot when I don’t understand something.

So if you have a question or are struggling with something at school, simply send an email to catherineann.mk@gmail.com with “Ask Mr. Minnock” as the subject and I’ll pass it on to him. No matter how massive or miniscule the issue is, he’ll either find you an answer or find someone else who can help.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be sure to leave a comment, I value all kinds of feedback and opinions! I read and reply to every single one, so don't be shy! Come and say hello :)