Come Join Me Over Here!

Hi there!

I'm glad you've come to read my blog, but unfortunately I don't live here any more!

Feel free to trawl through my archives or look up my posts on Scoliosis which will always be at home here, but when you're ready please come and join me at my new home:


See you there!

Catherine Ann x

Sunday, 19 January 2014

Food, Glorious Food... Spiced Mocha Cake

This idea came about when I was thinking about making a chocolate cake, and what I could add to bring out the flavour. Before, I’ve used a hint of coffee or vanilla, and I also tried a brownie recipe with some spices in it.

I decided to incorporate a more intense coffee flavour with this in mind, and developed a recipe for this gorgeous winter warmer, a spiced Mocha cake. Mocha is a combination of coffee and hot chocolate, and is my favourite drink on a cold day. I experimented with this cake so you don’t have to, and I think you’ll love it! Even someone who’s not a fan of chocolate cake said they enjoyed this slightly spicy combination.

If this isn’t your cup of mocha, however, you can always experiment with your own proportions!

HERE’S WHAT YOU NEED...
8oz (200g) Caster Sugar (or granulated if you don’t have any... just cream more vigorously!)
8oz (200g) Butter/Marg/Baking Spread
12oz (300g) Self-Raising Flour
4 Medium Sized Eggs
1 Heaped Tsp Mixed spice
1 Tablespoon Instant Coffee
2 Tablespoons Cocoa Powder
A little golden syrup

...AND HERE’S WHAT YOU DO:

1)      Cream the butter and sugar together in a large mixing bowl with a wooden spoon.
2)      Beat in the four eggs with a tablespoon of the flour.
3)       Sift in the rest of the flour, spice and cocoa.
4)      Mix the instant coffee with a little hot water, just enough to make a thick liquid. Then stir it in. This is the cheaper, lazier option I used. Alternatively, if you have a pot of strong “proper” coffee made, then you could add in three tablespoons of that.
5)      Beat the mix together and pour into a greased, lined cake tin.
6)      Bake at 200˚C (180 fan assisted) for about 40 mins, or until a metal skewer comes out clean.
7)      Cool the cake on a wire rack. Before it’s cooled completely, drizzle some golden syrup over the top. This is a nice extra touch. I found the coffee took out some of the sweetness, which was nice, but it also meant that a little syrup on the top really added contrast.

8)      Enjoy! 




I don't think my cake's going to win any beauty contests... it's always a bit unpredictable when I shove it in the oven and pray it will rise evenly! Perhaps I should pat down the mix properly or put more effort in...

...but it tasted delicious, so frankly, I don't care. 

2 comments:

  1. Try Irel coffee, you can get it in Dunnes for cheap, more intense coffee flavour :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kim! I'll look out for it... will definitely make this again, so I'll be able to experiment ;)

    ReplyDelete

Please be sure to leave a comment, I value all kinds of feedback and opinions! I read and reply to every single one, so don't be shy! Come and say hello :)