Come Join Me Over Here!

Hi there!

I'm glad you've come to read my blog, but unfortunately I don't live here any more!

Feel free to trawl through my archives or look up my posts on Scoliosis which will always be at home here, but when you're ready please come and join me at my new home:


See you there!

Catherine Ann x

Saturday, 21 June 2014

Food, Glorious Food... Chicken Curry!

The original inspiration for this recipe came from a Home Ec book. I changed things around and used my new, edited version from my Home Ec Junior Cert. It got an A, so as I say to everyone, if you don’t like it, you’re wrong. Anyway, the other day I decided to Jazz it up even more, adding different veg and serving it with bright yellow rice. Yum!






This recipe served four people fairly large portions (it only took three of us to eat it… let he who was not sinned cast the first stone).

HERE’S WHAT YOU NEED…
2 chicken breasts
1 large onion (I actually used spring and baby onions as they were in the garden)
4-6 large mushrooms
Half a red pepper (the half you didn’t use in your quiche!)
1 tin pineapple
2 apples
2 tablespoons ground cumin
1 tablespoon chilli powder
2 tablespoons flour
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 tablespoons chutney (mango is nice, this time I used papaya and orange)
2 tablespoons natural yoghurt (I used Glenisk, as per!)
1 litre of chicken stock

Rice to serve. I use half a cup of rice and one cup of water per person. I threw in some turmeric while the water was boiling to give it a vibrant yellow colour. It doesn’t have an effect on the taste, it’s just SO PRETTY.

…AND HERE’S WHAT YOU DO

1)      Put the rice on to cook first, if you’re cooking from dry, as it will take the longest.

2)      Dice the onions, mushrooms and pepper, then put them in your largest saucepan with the olive oil. Then chop up the chicken and do the same—chop chicken last before cleaning the board to prevent “Sam and Ella Poisoning”.

3)      Sweat these over a low heat ‘til the chicken is white all over and the vegetables are soft.

4)      Meanwhile, make up the stock. I usually use a stock cube and a litre of boiling water in a large jug. This time I used the frozen stock cubes I had left from Christmas—though technically they were turkey!

5)      Chop the pineapple if it’s not already in cubes, and drain it. Peel the apples and chop them into cubes as well, and add all fruit to the pan.

6)      Put the flour and spices into the pan, stirring them into the fruit, veg and chicken. These will not only add flavour, but thicken your sauce.

7)      Stir the chutney into the stock, then pour everything into the saucepan and stir continually for a few minutes, before bringing to the boil, then simmering for about 20 minutes.  

8)      Taste the curry and add the yoghurt to taste. It primarily gives a creamy texture, but also cools it down if you can’t stand the heat!

9)      Serve alongside your pretty yellow rice. You might also like to sprinkle chopped coriander or sliced almonds on top, to give it an extra special touch.

What I love about this recipe most of all is the tenderness of the chicken. It is cooked once, with the oil, and then cooked again during the simmering. It melts in the mouth and is just perfect.

Don’t be afraid to experiment with your spices to suit your own taste—that’s how I got the ratio of cumin and chilli just right!


Enjoy! Xxx 

2 comments:

Please be sure to leave a comment, I value all kinds of feedback and opinions! I read and reply to every single one, so don't be shy! Come and say hello :)